Monday, May 11, 2009

Read Any Good Books Lately?

Anything exciting, sad, cheesy, adventurous? I know there are winter readers and summer readers. Some people like to read all year long. I'm a bathtub reader, any time of the year. I have a stack of books that is taller than me of titles I've yet to read and I keep buying more books.

I've recently finished The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill and The Birth House by Ami McKay. They share a couple of things in common. One is a strong female narrator and the other is a location of Nova Scotia. The Birth House takes place entirely in Nova Scotia while The Book of Negroes has Nova Scotia as one of a number of settings. I would recommend both of these books, I was sorry to see them end. I am now reading Born Standing Up by Steve Martin which will be a mood change from the previous two.

If anyone has a favourite book they would like to recommend let me know. I'm always looking to add to the growing stack. My reading had stalled for a while last year. I got distracted with crafts, television and tabloid magazines (I know, I know). I made a promise to myself to put other distractions aside and take some time to read one chapter each night and I realized how much I missed reading. Nothing compares to hearing the words in your head and seeing the setting in your imagination, the faces of the characters. I have read some books where I feel as though I can smell the air around me.

Hope everyone had a great Mothers Day! Did anyone get any books?

CN

No comments:

The Killer B's

The Killer B's
Butch and Bruiser